Friday, March 21, 2008

Jackson's Triumphant Milestone


We are glad to report that after almost two weeks of sleep training, now that Jackson is almost 7 months old, he is finally sleeping through the night! Ryan picked up the book "An Idiot's Guide to Sleep Training Your Child" at the bookstore a little while ago and we have been intently reading it ever since. With a little nudge from our friends Scott and Trina (who's baby has been sleeping through the night since two months) we decided to try the "cry it out" method. We had tried this several times before, but I was never strong enough to make it work. I always gave in to my baby's pleas for his mommy. The first night we put him to bed at 10pm, laid him in his crib and he was awake five minutes later. So, we let him scream for 10 minutes and then went in to comfort him for five minutes. As soon as I would lay him down he would start screaming and I would have to walk out and try and ignore it for 10 more minutes. I had two pillows over my ears and I could still hear him! This lasted until 1 am and finally he decided to give it a rest and get some sleep. To the relief of Ryan and myself, the next night it only went on for about 1 hour. The next night after that, we only had to let him cry it out for two or three sessions. It got better and better until four nights ago, I fed him, put him to bed and he went to sleep until 9am the next morning! I had to keep checking on him because I couldn't believe it! The last three nights after that he has slept the entire night and it has been wonderful! I now remember what it feels like to be a normal person and get at least 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep at night!

4 comments:

Ashley said...

Congradulations! Big step for the little man!

barbaraence said...

Good for you! Don't you love getting continuous sleep?
We're back at step 1 trying to get Laura back to our time zone (we were in Hawaii recently)--it is crazy! I forgot how hard crying it out is on us!

Nate and Kim said...

Congrats Kersti! I am jealous. Tyler is sleeping about 5-6 hours straight. I would love to get eight hours again. We've got to start letting him cry it out more. It is so hard to let them do it!! I can hardly let him do it for 2 minutes. I hope he keeps it up!

Jen said...

oh my gosh! I am so excited for you and for Jackson. That is like the best news ever.